What's crunchy, cheesy ,full of vegetables and goes great with beer?...yes..you guessed it right....vegetable nachos. Well, i work on the field a lot...specifically beaches. Every summer i spend 3-4 months on beaches in Delaware/ New Jersey collecting data (crab and bird counts, doing experiments). We work all day and come back pooped in the night. All i can think about when i get back is FOOD! Something delicious and quick to make. So my adviser introduced me to this yummy, nutritious dish.
Originally, this dish was knows as "Nacho's Especiales". According to the history channel, the first-ever plate of nachos was served in the town of Piedras Negrasis in 1943 by Chef Ignacio .
While plain old nachos and cheese are good, i prefer them with all sorts of toppings. The recipe below is one of the most popular ones between my friends and family:)
A can of refried beans ( i prefer Goya refried pinto beans)
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
A can of diced tomatoes
1 large onion finely chopped
2 large cloves minced garlic
1 small Jalapeno pepper
1 green bell pepper
10 or 12-ounce bag corn tortilla chips ( I prefer Tostitos tortilla chips with a hint of lime)
Shredded Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons oil
Pinch of salt
A 9 x 13 inch baking pan
1. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a medium sized skillet.
2. Add onions and saute over medium high heat.
3. Once onions are light brown in color, add garlic and diced tomatoes. Saute for about 4-5/
minutes until tomato juice is just about evaporated.
4. Add chili powder, cumin powder, salt, jalapeno pepper, bell peppers and cilantro and saute/
5. Add in refried beans and stir thoroughly. Cover and leave on low heat for about 10-12
minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Preheat oven to 350°.
7. Arrange chips in baking pan. Remove refried bean chili from heat.
8. Spread a layer of chili on chips.
9. Sprinkle over shredded cheese.
10. This recipe usually makes about 4-5 layers. Follow steps 8-9 for every layer.
11. Put pan on middle rack of oven for about 10 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and ENJOY with a glass of chilled beer!!!
Some suggestions : -
If in a hurry, you can make this recipe with refried beans and salsa in place of all veggies and microwave the chips/chili mixture for 5-8 minutes.
Serve with guacomole and sour cream
Serve with sour cream and Guacamole dip, if desired.
5 days ago